Welcome

Thank you for stopping by The Golden Pen Review, a blog dedicated to promoting authors, giving marketing tips, and publishing insight.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

From the Mind of HD Hatcher


1. What inspires you as a writer?

I would have to say that life in general has been my inspiration. The people in our lives can either be a healthy compliment to us, or they can be a toxic drain. Trust me, I have witnessed both and some of them are represented in my writing in one form or another.

2.  When did you have that ah ha moment when you knew you were a writer?

My first ah ha moment came when I had the idea for A Cold Dark Place. I would literally wake up from a sound sleep with an idea that I just had to get down on paper.

3.  What is your writing process?

The writing process for me involves turning on my Ipod and drinking an ice cold beer. Sometimes, an idea for a whole chapter can come from a single song. The beer helps relax me and allows my brain to communicate my ideas nearly uncensored.

4.  Tell us about your favorite character and why you chose to write about them?

Andy is my favorite character. I think that we have all wanted someone in our lives that loved us unconditionally and without judgment; someone that cares for us deeply and unconditionally, and will do anything in their power to make sure that we are safe.

5.  What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on two projects (As if I wasn't busy enough). I am currently working on a literary project with the very talented Autumn Prince that I am really excited about. It is a gay themed vampire story set in Charleston SC. As for project #2, this one is a break from the norm for me. I can't give away the details just yet. But, let's just say that it something that may surprise a few folks.

6.  Any upcoming events?

I am sure that by the time this interview is published, the South
Carolina Book Festival will have come and gone. However, (just in case) it will be held Saturday May 14th at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center, Columbia, SC starting at 10 a.m. There is another event that I am really excited about. I collaborated with some very talented writers for the anthology entitled, Unloved by The Author Project.  All of the short stories center around the theme of bullying and suicide. Unloved has made the front cover of the June/July edition of Conversations Magazine thanks to Cyrus Webb. He has been a big supporter of the Author Project and the message that we are sending. All proceeds from Unloved will go to charities in support of Bully Prevention and/or Suicide Prevention.

7.  If you could be anyone you like, who would you be?

If I could be anyone I like, I would be Carrie White. Let's just put it this way, the roads would be a whole lot safer, people would think twice before they annoy me, and I would the "must invite guest" for Bonfires and BBQ(s). The only bad thing, is I would have to keep the fire department on speed dial.

8.  Do you have any advice for new writers and something that a seasoned vet can learn?


9.   Where can your followers find you?

Feel free to visit me at my personal website: www.hdhatcher.com
Facebook: facebook.com/Author.HDHatcher

10. Any last words?

Let me offer writers this tidbit of advice. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
Everyone is not going to love your style of writing, and not everyone is going to give your book a “stand on their head and clap” review. So be it. But, in the same breath there is someone out there that will. This is who you write for.

Lastly, thank you for having me and giving you the opportunity to tell you a little bit about myself.
 
 

Thank you so much for stopping by HD Hatcher and gracing us with your wisdom and humor. For all those who didn't know Unloved is an Anthology dedicated to Bullying and Suicide Prevention. All proceeds go towards charities in support of this great cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment