10 Ways to Promote Your Book
1. Facebook. Create a page for your book. It’s THE international social networking tool. If you haven’t heard of it, there’s a movie.
2. Create a website (www.bloodthenewred.com). Facebook has replaced the website for many, but I still like to have a portal for reviews, excerpts, and where to purchase information in one place. Plus if you add lots of keywords your site will come up in searches.
3. Post excerpts wherever possible. There are several blogs and sites (some free, some with a fee); Smashwords.com and AuthorsDen.com is a good place to start.
4. Contribute guest blogs and write columns for other websites. If you get a byline even better! If not, no worries use you social networking tools to promote your blogs/columns. Having readers read your work and gauge your writing style, and generates interest in your book.
5. Submit press releases. Don’t just include a synopsis, but make the content interesting, lots of great keywords for searching. Also, use blurbs from reviews when possible.
6. Do a book tour or signing or virtual book tour. Be sure to include alcohol, this makes people happy. Of course my personal experience is that alcohol doesn’t work with virtual tours, too many next day regrets!
7. Forget what your mamma told you: Give it away! I mean other stories and books. It is rare today for someone to purchase a book without reading other stories by an author. Write a short story, then include a link to your book at the end.
8. Twitter(@david_s_grant). Good hash tags = #writing #fiction. Bad hash tags = #mybookisawesome #winning
9. Leave your virtual business card. Comment on blogs and article and leave your website, twitter, etc…
10. Guest blog (via a virtual tour) and shamelessly promote your book.
David S. Grant is the author of ten books including “Corporate Porn”, “Bleach|Blackout”, “Hollywood Ending”, and “Rock Stars”. His latest novel, “Blood: The New Red”, is now available. David lives and writes his weekly rock, travel, and NBA columns from New York City. For more information go to http://www.davidsgrant.com Twitter: @david_s_grant