Welcome

Thank you for stopping by The Golden Pen Review, a blog dedicated to promoting authors, giving marketing tips, and publishing insight.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Up Close with B. Swangin Webster



1. What inspires you as a writer? What inspires me is I always feel that there is a story somewhere inside of me. My life was pretty full but I still felt that something was missing and that ‘something’ was writing. Now that I do it 60% of the time, I love it.
2.  When did you have that ah ha moment when you knew you were a writer? In high school a teacher told me that I had a “voice” and that is when I KNEW, plus when I buy a card from the store, I HAVE to write on the blank side.
3.   What is your writing process? I do it by the seat of my pants. I don’t outline and I don’t sit down and think of where I want the story to go; it just happens.
4.   Tell us about your favorite character and why you chose to write about them? My favorite character is Cheryl. I love her; although most people don’t. I wanted to take the readers into a place that they had to use their emotions to get through her story and see her for what she really is; a great woman.

5.   What are you currently working on? Currently I am working on the novel, The Teacher’s Lounge
6.   Any upcoming events? Yes, I have a few events coming up. Taste N Books will either be coming up or past by the time this posts and I also have a few events; during the summer. Baltimore Book Fair to name one.
7.   If you could be anyone you like, who would you be? E. Lynn Harris. Ok, I know that would require a few different things to happen; surgery, name change, etc…LOL…but he showed me what a hard working author was capable of doing.
8.   Do you have any advice for new writers and something that a seasoned vet can learn? Yes. Never listen to your critiques as if they were the end all. Every person will have an opinion about your work and if you take everything too seriously, you will never sell one more book. You have to use criticism as the next step in your success ladder.
9.    Where can your followers find you? Wow…Just like VISA I’m everywhere you want to be.
Twitter: @SandraBSwanginWebster

10. Any last words? My last words are; if you have a story to tell; then you should tell it and let no one stop you. There will be naysayers but you have to learn that someone will ALWAYS have something to say. Your response has to be: “Thank you for your opinion” and keep it moving! 
Thank you for your time B. Swangin....gotta love the name!

2 comments:

  1. Rarely do we find an author who is both as talented and as inspiring as B Swangin Webster. Thank you for bringing her and her work to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! B. Swangin Webster is a talented writer with a great spirit. Thanks for sharing her advice and tips for new authors and what we can expect from her in the near future.

    ReplyDelete